For immediate police assistance call: 1.888.310.1122 | For all emergencies, dial 9-1-1


What do I need to bring with me?

Along with your completed CRC you will need to bring 2 valid pieces of identification.  Both pieces of identification must have your name and date of birth and at least 1 piece of identification must be photo identification.

If the person requesting the Criminal Records Check is under the age of 16 years and does not have sufficient identification a parent or legal guardian (with proper identification) can guarantee the young person’s identity.

The following is a list of types of identification that the Anishinabek Police Service will accept for your Records Check request:

Accepted Photo Identification (one of your two pieces of identification must be from this list):

  • Driver’s License
  • Passport
  • Government Employment Card
  • Military Employment Card
  • Age of Majority Card
  • Canadian Citizenship Card (up-to-date)
  • Indian Status Card
  • International Student Identification Card (ISIC)
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Possession and Acquisition License

Accepted Non-Photo Identification (must provide both the name and date of birth):

  • Birth Certificate
  • Baptismal Certificate
  • Hunting License
  • Fishing License
  • Outdoors Card
  • Hospital Card
  • Immigration Papers

Important Notice: Ontario Health Cards cannot be accepted for identification purposes (Personal Health Information Protection Act, 2004 section 34(4)).

How much does it cost?

A Police Criminal Record Check, Police Information Check and Police Vulnerable Sector Check for employment purposes are $40.00.

There is no cost for volunteers, however a letter, specific to you, from the volunteer agency must be provided and it must state that it is for a volunteer purpose only. The letter cannot be for employment and volunteer. It must be one or the other.

There is no cost for student placements for high school, college or university however a letter, specific to you and your placement is required.

How can I pay for my CRC?

Payment may be made by cash, cheque or money order only.

How long does it take?

Criminal Records Checks are processed in approximately 1-5 days, assuming timely response from other police services and depending on request volumes. The Anishinabek Police Service strives to serve you in a timely manner. Please help us meet our deadlines by filling out your forms carefully.

What Can Cause a Delay in the Process?

We may have to contact other police agencies to request local information of an applicant who has resided outside of our jurisdiction in the last five years and request volumes. Also, a delay can be caused if applications are received and information is missing.

What is Self-Declaration?

(Self) Declaration of a Criminal Record is a process whereby the Applicant declares their adult criminal convictions to the Police Service in accordance with the CCRTIS Dissemination of Criminal Record Information policy.

Declaration MUST include: 

  1. All convictions for offences under Federal Law.

Declaration must NOT include: 

  1. A conviction for which the applicant has received a Record Suspension in accordance with the Criminal Records Act.
  2. A Finding of Guilt where the applicant was a “young person” under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, however, the RCMP will provide a response if fingerprints are submitted.
  3. An Absolute or Conditional Discharge, pursuant to section 730 of the Criminal Code.
  4. An offence for which the applicant was not convicted.
  5. Any Provincial or Municipal offences.
  6. Any charges dealt with outside of Canada.

In order to release criminal convictions identified through a name based query, the Police Service must be satisfied that the applicant’s declared criminal record information is a match to their registered criminal record held at the RCMP National Repository of Criminal Records.

What will it cost me to be fingerprinted?

The fingerprinting fee of $35.00. APS submits fingerprints to RCMP via CARDScan. You can request to have your prints taken by an RCMP-accredited fingerprinting company or by another police service that has the technology (such as LIVEScan) for a fee made payable to the Police Service or fingerprinting company. Note- If your fingerprints cannot be submitted electronically (CARDScan or LIVEScan), your VS check may take longer.

The RCMP also charges $25.00, which is collected by fingerprinting agency and forwarded to the RCMP, on your behalf. Please make money order payable to the “Receiver General of Canada.”

How can I pay for fingerprinting?

Payment may be made by cash, cheque or money order only.

Where do I go to get fingerprinted?

Applicants must book an appointment with the closest Anishinabek Police Service Detachment. That is where you will attend to get your prints taken.

How long does the Anishinabek Police Service keep my CRC?

Your completed record check will remain available for one year from the date it was completed.

Are copies of my CRC available?

Yes, each copy of your CRC, with an embossed seal, is available for a fee of $10.00.

Should I hire this person for work?

The decision to engage or hire staff is not made by the Anishinabek Police Service.

A Police Record Check is a valuable screening tool; however, it is not a substitute for appropriate hiring or screening practices and overall corporate due diligence. It is up to the individual organization to consider the information provided by the police or by the individual in question and to make appropriate decisions about whether the information should exclude someone from a particular position or participation in their program.

The responsibility lies entirely with representatives of the organization. The Anishinabek Police Service makes no representation or warranty with respect to suitability or reliability of the individual.

How long is my CRC good for?

A police record check is current as of the date it is completed. It is your employer/prospective employer or organization’s function to determine if the record check is current enough to be accepted for the position applied for. The Anishinabek Police Service, its officers, agents and employees, shall have no responsibility or obligation to make such a determination.

Can the police service refuse my VSC request?

Yes. The police service will verify that the position is relative to the vulnerable sector. If it is not, the police service will refuse to process your request or offer a regular criminal record check. (Criminal Records Act, section 6.3(3) and 6.3(4)).

I have a date of birth and sex match to a pardoned sex offender, do I have to be printed each time I get a VSC?

Yes. Unfortunately the police service must complete the VSC with current completed fingerprints.

I still have questions, who can I call?

Contact Donna May Sayers-Lariviere, Information Services Manager, at 705-946-2539 ext. 227.